- August 5, 2020
- Posted by: CCM
- Category: Uncategorized
Hurricane season is now underway in South Florida and will continue through November 30. As we have seen in previous years, hurricanes and tropical storms can cause significant wind and rain damage to landscaping, community common areas, and buildings.
Fortunately, condominium and homeowner associations can help minimize potential storm damage by preparing ahead of time and urging their residents to follow suit.
Here are our top 7 hurricane preparation recommendations for South Florida condo and homeowner associations and communities:
- Update Contact Lists – Update your contact list for all residents as well as for emergency and post-storm services such as debris removal, tree trimming, lawn service, etc.
- Communicate with Residents — Ensure that you have a way to rapidly communicate with residents in the case of an emergency. Be sure that seasonal residents or those who may be traveling take time to prepare their home before leaving.
- Prepare Buildings – Put up shutters, prepare doors, and protect all windows and vulnerable portions of buildings in common areas and throughout the community.
- Move Outdoor Furniture Indoors — Work with residents to bring furniture, decorations, and potted plants inside so they do not become projectiles in heavy winds. Items that are too heavy to move must be carefully secured.
- Trim Trees and Remove Debris – Prepare the community and any common areas appropriately. Follow tree trimming guidelines to remove dead branches and coconuts, and trim interior branches to safeguard tree stability.
- Unclog Drains – Inspect drains throughout the community and remove any debris to ensure storm gutters and drains are fully functioning.
- Understand the Community Insurance Policy – Confirm that the Board of Directors fully review related insurance policies and provide documentation with photos and videos before and after storm.
For information on putting together emergency plans and kits for your residents, review these handy checklists from the National Weather Service at weather.gov/safety/hurricane-plan
Do you have questions about preparing your community before a storm?
Our team at Consolidated Community Management can help! We provide expert property management services to keep your property in shape for any season. Contact us today by calling (954) 718-9903 for Broward, (561) 465-7639 for Boynton Beach, or clicking on ccmfla.com.
Consolidated Community Management (CCM) is a full-service property management company specializing in condominium and homeowner association management in Broward and southern Palm Beach Counties. We are committed to working together with community Boards of Directors to develop management plans tailored to the unique requirements of each community and their residents.
CCM provides a quality of service that is unique to our industry and consistently delivers a distinct competitive advantage. Our concentrated, extensive local presence and knowledge of community associations results in lasting partnerships and superior service. We have built our industry reputation on employing the best in the business and assigning only a limited number of properties to each Property Manager Team.
To learn more about CCM and our services, contact us at (954) 718-9903 for Broward, (561) 465-7639 for Boynton Beach, or visit us at ccmfla.com.